Henry Horton State Resort Park
Located along the Duck River in Marshall County, Henry Horton State Resort Park was constructed in the early 1960s on the former farm of Henry Horton, governor of Tennessee from 1927 to 1933. Horton's gravesite is located within the park boundaries. The park features the first eighteen-hole golf course to be built on a Tennessee state park. The popular course is named the Ellington Golf Course in honor of Governor Buford Ellington, who, like Horton, was a resident of Marshall County. In addition to the golf course, state planners provided the park with a wide range of facilities, including a restaurant, an inn, conference rooms, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a Frisbee golf course, ball fields, and well-equipped playgrounds. The park also contains the site of the Wilhoite Village, a nineteenth-century crossroads village, and the Wilhoite Mill and Dam site, which was constructed along the Duck River in 1845-46.